Report by Data2X: “How can insights drawn from big data sources improve understanding about the lives of women and girls?
This question has underpinned Data2X’s groundbreaking work at the intersection of big data and gender — work that funded ten research projects that examined the potential of big data to fill the global gender data gap.
Big Data, Big Impact? Towards Gender-Sensitive Data Systems summarizes the findings and potential policy implications of the Big Data for Gender pilot projects funded by Data2X, and lays out five cross-cutting messages that emerge from this body of work:
- Big data offers unique insights on women and girls.
- Gender-sensitive big data is ready to scale and integrate with traditional data.
- Identify and correct bias in big datasets.
- Protect the privacy of women and girls.
- Women and girls must be central to data governance.
This report argues that the time for pilot projects has passed. Data privacy concerns must be addressed; investment in scale up is needed. Big data offers great potential for women and girls, and indeed for all people….(More)”.